________________________________

From: Contaminated Land Management Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ivens,
Rob
Sent: 11 September 2007 10:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CLR7 Test

At risk of carrying on the pain.. you don't need to use a herringbone...
we never have not with modern GPS and gis systems.

I wouls allow an elavetd value in a garden... it is simply a
representation of the real world.... The clever bit  is giving it the
context to make a decision.

BUT if you can show that (internally homogenous) ZONES, that may
comprise several averaging areas, of the site are suitable for specific
land uses then fine.

I would sugest that this is the key- why assess every garden if the area
is similar an estimate of the population can be obtained from sufficient
sampling across the area...

Attached is a jpg of a boundary area of a site we investigated- 25
houses on the edge of a clay pit assumed clean and how we divided up the
work.

Ps I would not rely on the outlier test to pick up hot spots

Cheers.

Rob Ivens
Scientific Officer
01306 879232