Nice bit of content analysis, Craig, but is the really worrying thing that newspapers in our society do not 'contain news' but instead serve the interests of drugs companies or that they are means through which the wider oppressive economic system is reproduced? It is 30 years ago now since Althusser, trying to explain how labour power is reproduced through 'ideological state apparatuses' wrote: "each of them contributes towards this single result in the way proper to it ... The communications apparatus by cramming every 'citizen' with daily doses of nationalism, chauvinism, liberalism, moralism, etc. by means of the press, the radio and television"
David

From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List on behalf of Craig Newnes
Sent: Tue 9/4/2007 23:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Yesterday's Guardian

Any on the list that still think that newspapers contain news might like to
glance at Monday's Guardian. The first 16 pages have 8 + 2/3 pp of ads and 3
+ 1/2 pp of photos. Various so called stories then tell us that there is a
gene for making people taller, working hard at school is good for
"anti-social behaviour" - a tautology where I come from, school lunches are
healthier than lunch boxes, the EEC is being asked (lobbied) to allow
anti-cancer drugs on the NHS, blood pressure pills increase longevity and
drug firms are being sued by an "HIV" couple.  So, that's 3/4 of available
space filled by pics and ads and 1/4 of the remaining are drug company press
releases. I rest my case. AND the sudoko is now too easy for words.
Craig

--

The University of Stirling is a university established in Scotland by charter at Stirling, FK9 4LA. Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not disclose, copy or deliver this message to anyone and any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.

___________________________________ COMMUNITYPSYCHUK - The discussion list for community psychology in the UK. To unsubscribe or to change your details visit the website: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/COMMUNITYPSYCHUK.HTML For any problems or queries, contact the list moderator Rebekah Pratt on [log in to unmask] or Grant Jeffrey on [log in to unmask]