I think this is only a problem in the primitive orthorhombic system
(at least I assume people don't want hexagonal axes along a, A & B
centred lattices etc, although there is no reason in principle why not).

Following some earlier discussions with Ian, Pointless now honours
(and preserves) a reference file (HKLREF) in eg P 2 21 21, and also
explicit reindex operations, but an initial indexing will still
enforce the "standard" setting eg P 21 21 2, because I accept the
"reference" setting from the cctbx library

ie suppose you have a crystal which when indexed with a <= b <= c and
Pointless decides unambiguously for the sake of argument)  that the
axis along a is a 2-fold and the other two are 2(1) screws, ie space
group P 2 21 21.

At present this will be reindexed to the "standard" setting P 21 21
2, but is that what you want, or should it be left as a<b<c? Which
criterion takes precedence?

Phil