Hi Sophie,

I would advise against this and would agree with Jake from Liverpool.

Also, I'd be very, very careful in seeing online social networking sites
as "the evil". The generation of students that is growing up and will
come to us, will be so used to a completely different way of
interaction, because of the way they use the web, that if Universities
don't truly understand the shift and embrace it instead of fighting
against it (if you can't beat them - join them) then we'll find us
alienating the new generation.

Besides, why not look at tools such as Facebook and find out what good
they can do (some fantastic professional networks can be found on there,
for example) and incorporate them into learning and teaching when and if
desirable.

Who is to say that the student on Facebook is not actually doing
University related group work, instead of doing this on the VLE? Who
knows if they are not learning and working, but in a non-sanctioned
environment, but one that they chose themselves? Do we know the torrent
of communication/collaboration beneath?

Best wishes

Nicole

-----------------