Yes, but what would Equiano’s children or grand-chidlren have called themselves?

From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of arthur torrington
Sent: 10 September 2007 09:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: capitalise Black or not?

It is important that we consider how people of African heritage saw themselves at the time, and we should refer to writers like Equiano. Here is what he said in his book, The Interesting Narrative after visiting Jamaica:

"When I came to Kingston, I was surprised to see the number of Africans, who were assembled together on Sundays; particularly at a large commodious place Spring Path. Here each different nation of Africa meet and dance, after the manner of their own country..." (page 172, Penguin Edition)

Please note that in his book Equiano sometimes uses the word 'black', but we should note the context. Reference should also be made to the book that has some of Sancho's letters.

Arthur