Please find attached a poster for the 2007/8 series of the North Western Long Eighteenth Century Seminar, details of which also appear below. As you will see, we have a very varied programme organised with a series of fascinating papers and speakers lined up. Please note that we have changed our venue to the newly re-opened John Rylands Library in Manchester and will be meeting on Wednesday afternoons, with our first session on 3 October.

If you have any queries, would like A3 copies of the poster to display, or wish to be added to the mailing list, then please contact me ([log in to unmask]). Please do pass this message on to anyone who know who might be interested. Hope to see you all on the 3rd.

Hannah

Dr Hannah Barker

Senior Lecturer in History

School of Arts, Histories and Cultures

University of Manchester

Oxford Road

Manchester M13 9PL

North Western Long Eighteenth-Century Seminar,

Programme for 2007-8

Venue:  John Rylands Library, Deansgate, Manchester                                                (map: http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/media/media,9539,en.pdf)

Time:      3.30 start (tea from 3 in the library cafe), 5pm finish, followed by drinks and dinner.  All welcome.

Bill Stafford, University of Huddersfield

'The representation of masculinities in the Gentleman's Magazine, 1785-1815'

Karen Harvey, University of Sheffield

‘Ritual Encounters: Reconstructing Male Homosociability in the Eighteenth Century’

Murray Pittock, University of Glasgow

'The Jacobite Army in 1745: tactics, organization and arms'

Katrina Navickas, University of Edinburgh

‘Moors and fields in popular protest in the north of England, 1760-1848’

Dan Szechi, University of Manchester

‘Retrieving Captain Le Cocq's Plunder: Plebeian Scots and the Aftermath of the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion’

David Worrall, Nottingham Trent University

‘The Representation of the Islamic World on the British and American Stage’

ALSO, IN ADDITION TO OUR SEMINAR SERIES:

Teaching and Learning the Long Eighteenth Century

A Day Conference at the Centre for Excellence in Enquiry-Based Learning, University of Manchester. Further details (including call for papers and booking information) at the History Subject Centre website, at: www.hca.ltsn.ac.uk/history

British Association for Romantic Studies

http://www.bars.ac.uk

To advertise Romantic literature conferences, publications, jobs, or

other events that the BARS members would be interested in, please

contact Neil Ramsey  <[log in to unmask]>

Also use this address to register any change in your e-mail address,

or to be removed from the list.

Messages are held in archives, along with other information about the

Mailbase at: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/bars.html