From: Peter Northover <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:29:06 AM
Subject: Re: best analysis for metal fragments and slags

Dear Heather,

Copper smelting and refining slags can generally be distinguished and
can certainly be differentiated from the residues of making and melting
copper alloys. Copper-based industries in the past could be organised in
a variety of ways but ones I have been involved in studying have
generlaly seen alloying and sometimes refining spearated from smelting
on different sites.

What part of the world are you delaing with?

Yours,
Peter

--
Dr Peter Northover,
Materials Science-Based Archaeology Group,