All,

Further to my recent query regarding evidence of fluid crystal stability in synovial fluid samples, below is a summary of a short study conducted on a mixture of positive crystal samples.

We looked at five synovial fluid samples from a variety of collection sites – samples kept in the fridge and fresh aliquot used for each analysis.

CRYSTALS

DATE CRYSTALS SEEN

Calcium pyrophosphate

17/7 and 20/7

Urate

19/7 and 24/7

Urate

31/7 and 2/8

Calcium pyrophosphate

2/8 and 7/8

Urate

2/8 and 7/8

We did not observe any gross deterioration of urate or calcium pyrophosphate during this short study period.

Thanks for all correspondence regarding this query.

Colin Stone                   [log in to unmask]

Louise Alexander           [log in to unmask]

Clinical Biochemistry Dept.

Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/