I'd like to hear what others think about a curious issue I stumbled
across.  What should the value of YESNO be in the following cases:

A. open(unit=1,file='junk',form='formatted')
   inquire(1,unformatted=yesno)

B. open(1,file='junk',form='unformatted')
   inquire(1,formatted=yesno)

For some Fortran compilers under Linux I get the following results:

      G95  GFORTRAN  Intel  Pathscale  PGI  Lahey    NAG
  A   YES    YES      NO       NO      NO    NO    UNKNOWN
  B   YES    YES      NO       NO      NO    NO      NO

I've taken a look at the standard (9.4.5, 9.9.1.12) and I'm
not sure how to interpret what is meant by the "set of allowable
forms for a file".  All compilers but g95/gfortran appear to
interpret it as the allowable forms for the file as it is currently
connected; indeed, form is not one of the changeable modes (9.4.1).
Whereas g95/gfortran seem to interpret it as the allowable forms
for the file in principle, ignoring any connection status.

Thoughts?
--
Neil N. Carlson <[log in to unmask]>