Hi Lindsay,

An excellent fish-scale reference exists for the Northeast Pacific which
might be of general interest to you (see link and reference below).  Another
paper discusses the paleo-climatic potential for fish-scales including
quantification, taphonomy, and sample size issues.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,
       Iain McKechnie
       Victoria, BC

Patterson, R. T., C. Wright, A. S. Chang, L. A. Taylor, P. D. Lyons, A.
Dallimore and A. Kumar
	2002	Atlas of common squamatological (fish scale) material in
coastal British Columbia and an assessment of the utility of various scale
types in paleofisheries reconstruction. Palaeontologia Electronica 4(2).
Available online at http://www.palaeo-electronica.org/2001_2/toc.htm

O'Connell, J. M. and V. Tunnicliffe
	2001	The Use of Sedimentary Fish Remains for Interpretation of
Long-term fish Population Fluctuations. Marine Geology 174:177-195.