Dear Russell, et al.: I'm interested in your question about wear between cow
incisors too. If I remember right, the subject has been discussed here at
the Zooarch board not too long ago, with no firm resolution. It seems the
main purport of your query is not whether the wear is "really there" but
whether it was produced as a side effect of the way a cow grazes, or by
human agency.

For many years I have been involved teaching people how to perform dentistry
on horses. However, sometimes these same techniques are also used on cattle.
The method I am speaking of goes far beyond mere "floating" of the teeth; it
is rather whole-mouth equilibration. Thus some techniques that we teach for
horses are not appropriate for cattle, because they lack upper incisors and
have different masticatory biomechanics.

In developed countries today, the species for which these techniques have
been developed and which is most likely to receive dental prophylaxis is the
horse. We then take what we do for horses and adapt it to cattle. But this
may not have been the case in the ancient world, where cattle usually came
into the culture before horses and were, at least in many cases, the primary
basis for the economy. There, if animal dentistry -- involving the physical
modification of teeth -- was practiced, it might well have been practiced
primarily on cattle.

I have no firm answers on this, but am writing to throw the subject out to
those with more experience looking at interproximal wear than I have. I
would also like to call on anyone, working in any culture or time period,
who suspects they may have instruments, such as small rasps, rongeurs, or
pliers-like tools that look "wrong" for either farriery or human medicine
(i.e., wrong size, bent at wrong angles, etc.). I am very interested in
finding out the historical origin of equine and/or animal dentistry. Of
course there are a few engravings or manuscript illustrations showing this
from Renaissance Europe and later, but my suspicion is that the Europeans
learned this, as they learned so much else, through their contact with the
Far East.

And please say 'hello' to Bill Honeychurch. He will perhaps not remember me;
I was an undergraduate at A-squared in 1970, when he was one of Milford
Wolpoff's lab instructors. Honeychurch was, I believe, in the auditorium the
day Wolpoff came in to lecture, in his usual expansive and bombastic manner,
with his barn door wide open....an experience nobody could ever  forget. It
took fully 10 minutes for the audience to get the message across to him.
Cheers --

Deb Bennett, Ph.D., Director
Equine Studies Institute
Livingston, California and
"Curator of the bone heap" at Vindolanda, in Northumbria, England