From: The list of the European Society for Textual Scholarship and the Society for Textual Scholarship [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of William Davis
Sent: 23 August 2007 06:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Source Criticism Resources...

Dear Members:

I could use some suggestions.  I have recently started a project addressing the transmission of ideas in religious texts (focusing on the influence of British authors on 19th Century American authors).  While doing so, however, I've run into some challenges related to identifying the presence of borrowing between writers.  It seems that different scholars have many different approaches to identifying whether or not a writer may have lifted or borrowed ideas from an earlier source, and I wanted to be sure that I adopted methods that were reliable and recognized.  So far, my focus has been on the phrasing of parallel ideas shared between two writers, particularly when identical or nearly identical expressions of an idea occur within similar narrative contexts.  But I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing any other important methodologies that I could explore.  In the end, I just hope to enlist the help of the most reliable and convincing approaches a! vailable in my attempts to establish the presence of lifting and borrowing, while simultaneously avoiding the trap of using commonplaces as evidence of transmission.

Replies on or off list are welcome.

William Davis

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at
AOL.com.