On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 03:06:15PM +0100, Brew, CAJ (Chris) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know the maximum permissible UID in Linux of the top of
> their head?
>
> I'm thinking of redoing my pool accounts to make them a bit more
> sensible with some sort of systematic numbering scheme with plenty of
> space for whatever crazy ideas the developers come up with next.
>
> Since there is (theoretically at least) sitewide allocation of UID/GID
> blocks here at RAL I'd like to get well out of the way of that. So how
> high can I go?

The kernel uses 32bit uids since the 2.4 days and I think glibc got the
support before 2.2

The only problem that I've seen so far is with the accounting which is still
stuck at 16bit :( This means that for example lastcomm gives you either
wrapped uids or nobody for uids about the 64k limit depending on which
version of EL you are running. I am pretty sure that there is a ticket
open for it in bugzilla, from what I remember it requires changes to the
accounting format that the kernel writes and the tools to parse it so I
would not expect a fix for it in existing rhel versions.

Cheers,
Kostas