Dear Lia Ali,

I don't know what you mean with truncating a structural image, but you
may want to have a look at my Volumes Toolbox linked on the SPM
extensions page. There is a tool called "Extract sub-volume" which may
do what you want.
Also you may want to search the SPM list archives for a spm_select
wrapper program to imitate SPM2's spm_get functionality.

Volkmar