Dear fellow SPMers:

I have a couple of questions for the preprocessing steps in SPM5:

1) For coregistration:  If I coregister using the mean functional image (produced in estimate and reslice in realignment) as my "reference image" and my T1 as my "source image" this won't coregister all my functionals to the anaTomic, but rather only the mean one, right? If so, then does this mean that my functionals are not in registration with anything? This is slightly confusing, because if what I have said is true, then when I normalize my images, when I select all the functionals, I will be normalizing uncoregistered functional scans. The same would go for smoothing too. To solve this, is it wise select the the fMRI scans as well as "other images?"

2) For segmentation/normalization: If I am not normalizing to an MNI template (eg EPI in SPM5 template directory, as I would do if I didn't do segmentation), but rather to the parameters estimated in the segmentation process, is this sufficient to normalize my T1 and functional scans into MNI space? Or is there an added step?

If any of the above is not not clear, please let me know and I will try and reword.

Thanks.

David