Hi Caroline,

  SharePoint itself has been tested and certified under the US Department of Defense 5015.2 standard - both by integration with several different dedicated EDRMS; and in May 2007 it was certified independently (including Microsoft's Records Centre Add-On Pack).

  http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/recmgt/register.html

  Filenet (IBM), Objective and TRIM also have integration packs.

  The add-on pack option might suit you, as a starting point. Bear in mind that integration with EDRMS meets the full Chapter 4 (security) requirements; whereas the add-on pack was not sufficient to manage classified records.

  Best wishes
  Sonya

  Sonya Sherman
  Senior Records Policy Advisor
  Cayman Islands National Archive

Caroline Ives <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I am in the process of developing an EDRM Strategy and am exploring an
approach that utilises existing document management/scanning systems (with
SharePoint 2007 to manage desktop documents) - but supplement their
functionality with an additional records management module to act as a
repository whereby we can actually manage these documents and records.

My initial query is whether this is actually feasible; - I'm sure we're not
alone in that we have a legacy of different systems and we're not dealing
with a greenfield site where we can easily implement a corporate EDRM
solution, - so I'd be interested to learn how others have tackled this.

Is it possible to actually bolt on just a records management module,
(rather than EDRM)to existing systems, (be them document management/DIP or
line of business applications).

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has explored this modular approach
and the costs/benefits of doing so - especially with issues of integration.

Many thanks

Caroline