kasper salonen wrote:
> that's a great story Ken; though it's all very frustrating. to be
> terrorised into belief
>
> KS

Joe never had a bad word about the Jesuits.  Even when his politics
shifted (he later became the editor of a collected Gramsci), he credited
them with knowing how to question and find things out.  I once got the
nerve to ask him why he didn't finish the arduous path to priesthood
through the Society.  "I developed doubts about the theology, and I also
decided I wanted women."  Such honesty, especially in the light of
what's happened since, needs no further comment.

Ken Wolman				rainermaria.typepad.com

We're neither pure, nor wise, nor good
We'll do the best we know.
We'll build our house and chop our wood