> Is the Rodent Dangermouse, by any chance?
>
> Candice

More Dormouse than Dangermouse, alas.

Perhaps even (re)Vole(ting).

But, with thanks to those -- Barry, Roger, Peter, and now Candice -- who
noted my return (though Roger may have noticed a more extended post about
the same time on New Poetry) [and with less thanks to the person -- yes, you
know who you are!-- who, backchannel, described my elegant extension of
Mark's post, linking turtle pigeons to floating Dysons, as not simply folk
etymology but as cod entomology.  Hrumph!] ...

However, to extend that "but" above, but.

I've been slightly preoccupied with _A Blast For Blowens_, which is at long
last beginning to be written (good -- from my point, at least), but (less
good) now unnervingly stretches from the origins of cant in England in the
1530s to a series of historical novels, the last published just after the
turn of the millennium, dealing with Sir John Fielding, blind magistrate of
Bow Street and brother of the (in)famous novelist.

Not to bore everyone (would I ever?  especially as I've been warned not to),
I won't even deploy the few tiny snippets of possibly original material that
have turned up in the course of this.  As, only last night, a few lines in
Thomas Randolph's __Hey for Honesty, Down with Knavery_ (1650), or a
singularly interesting short poem reported by Thomas Mount on the eve of his
execution in Rhode Island in 1791, which indicates that American criminals
in the late nineteenth century were aware of ballads being sung on the
streets of London only ten years earlier.

Unless, of course, I'm asked, pretty please.

For now.

Dun Rodenting

> --- Dominic Fox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Best line in the film:
>>
>> "I...have HAD...ENOUGH of...you!"
>>
>> Dominic

snip ......