Great little tale, Tad. I don't know if I can remember such a moment as
such.

Oddly, I got your note after I got responses to it, & that has been
true of a bunch of others today as well.

Oh well, perhaps that's a cut-up technique the site is 'practicing' all
on its own....

Doug
On 21-Aug-07, at 10:56 AM, TheOldMole wrote:

> It is the truth. But you do know some things. I remember that it
> happened to me, when I was at Iowa. My second or third year there,
> certainly not my first. I spent a lot of time floundering. And then,
> between one poem and the next, I suddenly discovered that I was
> writing poetry. Everything before had been self-indulgence; that was a
> poem. And it turned out others thought so too -- it was published in
> /Poetry/. (Not by Harriet Monroe -- I'm not /that /old.) And I think
> this may be happening to Lynda.
>
> Probably the best description I've ever read of that revelation that
> one is suddenly seeing through the eye of an artist is in Chaim
> Potok's /My Name is Asher Lev/.
>
> It doesn't mean you're in like Flynn. But it does mean you've passed
> through a portal. And it's not a portal everyone passes through, and
> that's why everyone here is so thrilled for you.
>
> Another old saw but a true one -- a writer is a person for whom
> writing is a whole lot harder than it is for anyone else.
>
> Kenneth Wolman wrote:
>> TheOldMole wrote:
>>>
>>> I asked how can you ever be sure
>>> that what you write is really
>>> any good at all and he said you can't
>>>
>>> you can't you can never be sure
>>> you die without knowing
>>> whether anything you wrote was any good
>>> if you have to be sure don't write
>>
>> The God's honest truth.  Not because you can but because you fear you
>> can't.

>> --------------------
>> Ken Wolman                rainermaria.typepad.com
>>
>> We're neither pure, nor wise, nor good
>> We'll do the best we know.
>> We'll build our house and chop our wood
>> And make our garden grow...
>>
>>             Bernstein/Wilbur, "Candide"
>>

> --
> Tad Richards
> http://www.opus40.org/tadrichards/
> http://opusforty.blogspot.com/

Douglas Barbour
11655 - 72 Avenue NW
Edmonton  Ab  T6G 0B9
(780) 436 3320
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest book: Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664

Every time Dick Cheney smiles
an angel in heaven
gets waterboarded.