From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Judy Prince
Sent: 21 August 2007 08:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: collage poetry

Hi, Lynda,

I've put your first version below, followed by the second.

"Sticks" is a clearer, sentenced narrative.  "Emily" more often suggests,
phrases---and I much prefer it to the reworked version.

In "Emily" I didn't get the "Tear away I can take it" ending line----thought
it was your inviting our criticisms!!  I still don't get the line.  Neither
version suggests child abuse to me.

I do absolutely love (in "Sticks"):  "the wind catches/ and her hair becomes
feathers".

I do always hate (anywhere I find 'em) a word hanging at the end of a stanza
that's completed for meaning in the start of the next stanza, so I'd opt for
your putting these ("Emily") bits in the same stanza:  "all the children run
along the steaming tarmac".

At times a first or early version hits the right spots in us and keeps
hitting them.  Perhaps that's bcuz our "fussy" self increasingly takes over
in rewrites.

Best,

Judy

Lynda Nash wrote: