Dear List,

I would like to call your atention to Adolfo Casais Monteiro's 1956 text
that we publish in ThRad www.iade.pt/designist in which he claim the end of
Modernism.

I just wanted to point out some key issues about Modern and Modernism:

- in the 1400's: The word modern emerges important in artistic terms. It
emerges because of the relation with Antiquity. It meant the continuation of
Antiquity. "We the moderns want to do like them!" Francesco Di Giorgio
Martini is one of the writers I remember and of course, in the mid 1500's,
Francisco D' Holanda the Portuguese theorist of art.

- Late 1600's early 1700's: The quarrel between the Ancients and The Moderns
in France, in Architecture between Perrault and Blondel. The Moderns were
the classicists! Bigger and better than the ancients.

- Late 1700's : In the midst of the hallucinated forms of Rococo, the main
Modern political idea, absolute power of the king collapses. From 1776 to
1830 the world changes dramatically.

- Early an mid 1800'sī, the Historians of the Annales baptized the eras and
closed the modern era in 1796 (started in 1453 with the fall of
Constantinople. Out of the French tradition, the British Historians prefer
to call that period Early Modern the rest Modern or Late Modern for our
time. But for the French, the Era starting in 1796 was the contemporary age,
as you may imagine, the final one.

Modernism was another story: we can trace it back to Ruskin's "Modern
Painter".

Modernism in Literature is characterized by multiple views, free streams of
consciousness, ambiguity and can be compared to obviously the Art Noveau,
the Modern Style, Liberty in which, like in many of the literature, we sense
a lot of frivolity.

- After WWII all the concepts of Modern collapse (please take a look ant
Monteiro's text) it was written 5 or 6 years before Foucault's "Les Mot et
Les Choses".

- Post Modernity (starting in the 1950's) was really, paradoxically, a huge
lapse of memory. The western culture had had it one and a half century
before. Post Modernism was another thing, Neo modernist in many ways.

- Today, I think that we live in a Hyper-Contemporary Age that started
symbolically at the 9/11 but started to start in the 60's. The sheer idea of
contemporary (at the same time) that occured to nineteen century historians
was taken to an unimaginable status.

 Cheers,

Eduardo