I went digging in our Latin dictionaries.  The Oxford Latin dictionary
only gives "predecessor in office."  Most give both meanings, but most
give "predecessor in office" as the first in line.  [I am leaving out
the sense of the word as "military scout".]

 Tom Izbicki

Christopher Crockett wrote:

> a minor point, perhaps, but i would be interested to hear the opinions of list
> members less Latiniacally-Challenged than myself regarding the meaning of an
> expression in a 12th c. charter i'm interested in.
>
> in 1149 (n.s.) Count Theobald IV of Blois(/Chartres) confirmed certain justice
> rights exercised by the (newly reformed) canons of the abbey of St. Mary
> Magdalen of Chateaudun, which had been granted (or so he claimed) by
> _antecessores mei ab antiquo_, back in the time when it was (just?) their
> chapel (_capelle eorum_).
>
> he uses this expression three times in a rather short charter.
>
> my question is: does he mean to say his "ancestors" or his "predecessors" did
> this?
>
> in this case it might be argued that it is a distinction without a difference,
> since Teddy4 was a direct descendant of the earliest known Counts of Blois,
> going back a century and a half, well before the foundation of St. MMCD (which
> appears to have been c. 1060).
>
> but i'm wondering whether or not there might have been some subtle nuance of
> meaning intended here, since the thrust of the charter is to attempt to
> establish (at least in principle, in the face of the new, bishop-driven reform
> of the place) that, institutionally, the abbey owed its existence --and its
> rights-- to the the counts.
>
> any off-the-top-of-the-head thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> i include the text of the body of the charter below, with the relevent
> expressions axterixéd.

> ------------
>
> L. Merlet and L. Jarry, Cartulaire de l'abbaye de la Madeleine de Châteaudun.
> (Châteaudun, 1896), no. 11:
>
> Quoniam Deus veritas est et qui veritatem impugnant Deum quoque constat
> impugnare, que vera scimus, ne posteros lateant, stilo memorie mandando
> posteritati transmittere curavimus. Quamobrem ego Theobaldus, Blesensis comes,
> existencium presentie et futurorum posteritati notum fieri volo quod
> **antecessores mei ab antiquo dederant*** ecclesie Beate-Marie-Magdalene
> Castridunensis, sicut capelle eorum, ne alieni liceret exibere sancta ad
> sacramenta juranda, in villa Castriduni, preterquam ministris predicte
> ecclesie, omnibus duellis vel sacramentis que in curia eorum seu in manu
> prepositorum ipsorum, in prefata villa, insumpta vel arramissa fuissent, que
> videlicet ipsi per se possent accipere vel dimittere.
>
> Judicia vero, que tunc temporis de ferro esse solebant, in curia eorum seu
> prepositorum ipsorum insumpta, in prenominata ecclesia ferentur.
>
> Ego autem Theobaldus comes hoc donum et hanc institutionem ***antecessorum
> meorum*** prefate ecclesie Beate-Marie concedo et in perpetuum confirmo.
>
> Et quoniam judicia ferri, que in temporibus ***antecessorum meorum*** esse
> solebant, prevaricata erant, addo insuper et confirmo ut omnia judicia, seu de
> ferro sive de aqua, in curia mea seu prepositi mei apud Castridunum insumpta,
> [...]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]