From: Marjorie Greene <[log in to unmask]>

> For Auvergne, see:
> http://www.art-roman.net/issoire/issoire2.htm
> The webmaster does indeed include the "horriblement peint" interior (done in
the 19th c.) and all can conclude for themselves if this is indeed horrible.
My quarrel with the capitals is not the paint, especially the original paint,
but the phony plaster capitals trying hard to pass for the real deal. However,
the Last Supper, phoniness and all, is moving and somehow pleasing to the eye,
at least this eye.

the Augergne stuff is characterized by a sometimes overly-static stolidity
--good, solid, sturdy Peasant Folk, laconic in their movements and gestures.

the paint here is not nearly as garish (at least on the capitals) as the
previous example we saw on this thread and, again, i suspect that it follows
rather closely what survived.

it appears "horriblement" to our eyes mainly because we're just inured to
seeing sculpture in monochrome --even the most restrained, "realistic" (i.e.,
naturalistic) paint, even faded with time, is quite striking to us.  cf. the
Well of Moses, which we saw last week on another string.

this is somewhat curious, since we may assume that the Middlevils didn't need
their Doors of Perception cleansed and, therefore, their vividly painted
sculptures (and frescos) would have effected them all the more powerfully.

another factor should be taken into account, however, when looking at this
stuff in its present context --esp. in photographs.

romanesque churches are, by nature, somewhat dark and would have been darker
still with their "stained" (colored) --or even "grisaille" (translucent)--
glass in place.

add the element of flickering candlelight and you have an "excuse" for what
appears, in the present lighting conditions, as garishness.

i've always thought that this latter consideration was particularly
significant for mural paintings, esp. ones which seem to have some sort of
deliberate optical illusion going on, like the wonderful frozen movement in
the lower drapery of the Christ here

http://www.art-roman.net/stsavin/stsavin9x.jpg

at St. Savin-sur-Gartemp

http://www.art-roman.net/stsavin/stsavin.htm

an avatar of Marcel Duchamps, that painter was

http://www.beatmuseum.org/duchamp/nude2.html

http://www.snap-dragon.com/_private/Duchamp/SadYoungManinaTrain.jpg

quite astonishing, really.

to: [log in to unmask]