Also, St. Andrew appeared thrice to Peter Bartholomew before Peter would
tell Raymond of Toulouse about the Holy Lance in Antioch.  Raymond
D'Aguiliers would probably be the best source for that.

Best,
Matt

On 8/30/07 7:33 PM, "John Wickstrom" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear list members:
>
> I have an example of a ninth-century saint (Maurus of Glanfeuil) who appears
> (post mortem) to an abbot, ordering him to carry a message for the saint. The
> abbot fails to carry out the saint's orders; the saint appears and second time
> some days later with the same result, then a final time, at which point he
> lashes the recalcitrant abbot (three times) and threatens him with death for
> non-compliance.
> I think I have seen such "triple appearances" before in early medieval
> sources, but bring them to mind.  I would be esp. interested to see whether
> such multiple appearances have some contexts in common.. Does anyone have such
> examples?
> thanks
>
> jbw
>
> John Wickstrom
> Kalamazoo College

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

Matthew Gabriele
Assistant Professor
Coordinator, Medieval & Renaissance Studies
Department of Interdisciplinary Studies
Virginia Tech
342 Lane Hall (0227)
Blacksburg, VA  24061