-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Giovanni
Freni
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 8:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Antique spectacles

On antique spectacles:

Chiara Frugoni, Medioevo sul naso: occhiali, bottoni e altre
invenzioni medioevali, Bari 2001. There must be an English translation
too.

I hope you enjoy the reading!

On 7/31/07, jbugslag <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > my rusty memory is that there is some evidence to suggest that one of
> > the figures on Claus Slutter's "Well of Moses" (c. 1400, at the
> > Chartreuse de Champmol, near Dijon)
> >
> > once had a pair of golden spectacles.
> >
> > it may have been the figure of Jeremiah, on the right here:
>
> Christopher,
> It was Jeremiah.  The sculptor, Claus Sluter, and the artist who
polychromed the ensemble,
> Jean Malouel (uncle of the famous Limbourg brothers), commissioned the
glasses from a
> Dijon goldsmith.  Apparently, the patron, Philip the Bold, is also known
to have used
> eyeglasses.
> Cheers,
> Jim

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

Dr Giovanni Freni - Research Scholar
Index of Christian Art - Dept. of Art and Archaeology
McCormick Hall - Princeton University
Princeton NJ 08544
Tel. 609 258 6364
Fax  609 258 0103