To expel demons is a very common thing for saints and it could be
very useful, remember St. Patrick, who cleaned Ireland from serpants
and other vermins by the way, as did St. Pirmin on the Reichenau in
the Bodensee/Lake Constance. What I dont know, is if the souls in the
background have a special meaning or are only the people protected by
the saint. Where does the window come from?
yours
Karl, Vienna

Am 11. Aug.2007 um 19:46 Uhr schrieb jbugslag:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> Esteemed list,
> I am currently trying to figure out the subject of a small panel of
> 15th-century stained glass,
> which depicts a nimbed bishop in the centre, before a cluster of
> heads, presumably of naked
> individuals, behind him and facing a cluster of demons in front of
> him.  He has his crozier in
> the crook of his arm and is making a distinctive gesture, towards
> the demons, with his gloved
> hands.  He is laying his right hand onto the wrist of his raised
> left hand.  This gesture
> suggests a well-established liturgical practice, but I am at a loss
> as to what it might be.  I
> thought at first of exorcism, but the context of the image suggests
> protection from demons
> rather than the exorcising of them.  The naked figures behind him,
> in fact, may be souls, and
> if this is the case, the image might have eschatological
> significance.  Can anyone suggest
> either: 1) what the bishop's gesture might mean; or 2) what sources
> I might consult about it.
> Many thanks in advance,
> Jim Bugslag

> to: [log in to unmask]