> I have an example of a ninth-century saint (Maurus of Glanfeuil) who
> appears (post mortem) to an abbot, ordering him to carry a message for
> the saint. The abbot fails to carry out the saint's orders; the saint
> appears and second time some days later with the same result, then a
> final time, at which point he lashes the recalcitrant abbot (three
> times) and threatens him with death for non-compliance. I think I have
> seen such "triple appearances" before in early medieval sources, but
> bring them to mind.  I would be esp. interested to see whether such
> multiple appearances have some contexts in common.. Does anyone have
> such examples? thanks

Dear John,
I've been collecting information on Marian pilgrimage shrines for some time now, and she often appeared more than once, sometimes on many occasions.  Trolling through my notes, I found two instances of triple apparitions mentioned in William A. Christian, Jr., Apparitions in Late Medieval and Renaissance Spain, Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1981: at Escalona and Santa Gadia del Cid.  The Marian apparitions at Guadalupe in Mexico in the early 16th century also, I believe, amounted to three.  And the apparition of the Holy Candle at Arras also involved three apparitions of the Virgin: the first two to two separate minstrels, warning them of a third apparition, when she delivered the Candle.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag