> the sound of the annomyous Norman throwning up during the channel
> crossing was a very nice touch, and reminded me vividly of a crossing
> i made on the night ferry in '70.

Christopher,
I believe it was King Henry III who had a retainer whose function was to hold the king's head
over the side on channel crossings.

> btw, i read a rather convincing account recently which demonstrated
> that that particular detail was an 18th or early 19th c. "restoration"
> --originally he was just holding a lance when he was downed.

This might explain the enigma of why Harold is shown getting killed twice.

What I like about this animated version is that it updates the medium very usefully for
contemporary audiences.  In a time without "moving pictures", audiences would have done
the moving, as they progressed past the sequence of scenes.  I doubt whether we can ever
recover the medieval experience of such narratives, but such animations "translate" medieval
media quite creatively.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]