Hi Terry,

This project (at least the cross-collection searching) sounds fairly
similar to the People's Network Discovery Service that the MLA developed
a few years ago (http://www.peoplesnetwork.gov.uk/discover/); probably
worth talking to David Dawson there, if you haven't already.

We've previously used OAI-PMH to integrate collections/content
management systems (e.g. for the IWM), and for developing
cross-collection searches (http://www.20thcenturylondon.org.uk - which
re-uses the people's network OAI service).  OAI-PMH is fine (if a little
clunky) for aggregating data from multiple sources, but it's fairly
limited if you want to run a true, real-time "federated" search; it's
pretty limited in terms of the amount of parameters you can use to
narrow down a search.

I haven't had practical experience of using OpenSearch, but everything
I've read suggests it would make the better protocol for a federated
search.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Zambonini