John

This is one of the most cogent comments I have read from you, and I
think you have made some very key and appropriate points, covering most
of the ground.

The following paragraph is not from me, but from an email someone sent
me on this topic, a and which I think is very apt. I hope he/she does
not object to my quoting it here

" Open Source currently reminds me too much of the old days when public
sector (not just library) systems were developed by small bands of
enthusiasts who followed their own agendas; didn't necessarily engage
with a wide range of end users and then declared that what they had put
together was universally applicable and that the structures and
conventions they came up with were "standards."  If Open Source becomes
widely imposed in public libraries (if only because it would be
perceived as being cheaper) then it would mean that each of the affected
services would need to take on staff in order to do in-house product
development and support. It feels like the re-infantilism of a barely
mature technology sector. We wouldn't expect mobile library services to
buy kit cars to run their services."

Where I think the sector could help itself and get better value for
money and the system they do actually need, is by better co-operation
between and with each other., more demands made for less but better in a
system., less compliance with suppliers when they are patently not doing
the job and not giving the support., and maybe going for a lighter
version LMS. But I do agree with both John's comments and those in the
quotes above

Open source does seem to work well in the type of work (not library), I
am involved in now, but the product and the customer is quite different,
and the relationship between the company and the customer is entirely
different. But the comment is right it needs a first class technical
person with hands on all the time.