Hi Lisa,

Just to add to the comments made about the LOM....it can appear to be a somewhat intimidating standard on first viewing however as Julie points out, there is no requirement to implement every element.

The UK LOM Core (http://zope.cetis.ac.uk/profiles/uklomcore) which Charles Duncan mentioned is a draft application profile of the LOM standard developed by the CETIS Metadata SIG which identifies a minimum core element set for describing learning materials in the context of UK education.  The application profile identifies the core element set and also provides detailed guidelines on how to implement every element of the standard.  If you want to discuss any issues relating to metadata for learning materials then please feel free to contact the CETIS Metadata and Digital Repositories Special Interest Group ([log in to unmask]) and its coordinator Phil Barker ([log in to unmask]).

One last thing, I'd just like to reiterate the point that Julie stressed... all the profiles mentioned are designed to facilitate interoperability and data exchange and do not necessarily dictate how metadata should be gathered or stored  within a data base.

All the best
Lorna