Thank you to all for some interesting viewpoints & references on this
subject.

I'm not sure however what the value of regular urinalysis would be. I
would think that haematuria needs an explanation at any level.

I asked the question (about a real patient by a real doctor) because one
sometimes wonders if what we do as 'routine' is always necessary & so
warrants review & peer opinion - A healthy 50+ male having had 2 negative
tests...is it really necessary to proceed to cystoscopy?

I think that I will go with my original plan of RBC morphology to
distinguish between glomerular bleeding vs other urinary tract blood loss.
A referral for cystoscopy if normal or nephrology if showing dysmorphic
RBCs.

Regards

Dr Marcus Hawkins BM BS Nottm, FRNZCGP
Auckland, New Zealand