At 18:54 01/08/2007, you wrote:
>In message
>Martin Goldman <[log in to unmask]> writes
>
> >I read it on bbc news website.
> >Can't give you the exact reference, but there have been several
> >emollient interviews on radio to that effect.
>
>But did the interviewees know what they were talking about?
>Who briefed them?
>Apparently - from what I heard yesterday - it is unlikely that any
>patient will actually die because of this mess: which must be *very*
>reassuring!
>
>Slightly different aspect: if, as a junior doctor, you find out your
>placement with less than - say - 2 weeks notice, how easy is it to find
>suitable accommodation and move before the job starts?
>
>MaryH
>PS I believe that hospital accommodation has mostly been converted into
>offices...

It's difficult and disheartening.  What's more as people haven't got
the jobs they wanted, even when vacancies existed, some may be going
in to jobs for which they have less aptitude and barely any preparation.

This doesn't seem to me to accord with the GMC or clinical governance
principles of adequate preparation for new roles which would often
require several weeks (spare time only) of mental preparation /
reading etc for an averagely conscientious doctor changing even
sub-speciality at middle grade.

The EFFECTIVE training period is shortened, doctors and patients ARE
put at risk, and sound principles which should be reinforced by the
system are instead undermined.

All reinforced today by having a mother with chest pain who ended up
in a medical admissions unit.  Many good people.  Many systems not
really working (in my view) as they should.

Julian