Thank you to all those who responded to my query, I am always really appreciative to those who take the time to respond knowing how busy we all are !   I am pasting the reponses below.  I am also attaching a copy of the notes from my report on general observations as to declining numbers for those who are interested (some are specific to the Isle of Wight).

Lisa

Lisa Kerley
Education Officer
Brading Roman Villa

Hello,

What about the database from MLA SE? See http://www.mlasoutheast.org.uk/museums/schools4museums/

Hope that you are all well. B x

Bryony Kelly
Portsmouth Museum and Records Service

Hi Lisa

Have a look at Hampshire Museums ABC of working with schools website

Maggie Monteath

Museum Education Consultant

Hi Lisa,

I have just written a report on pretty much the same statistics that you are mentioning.  As my report is for the Isle of Man, I think that we may have a lot in common! I actually had a discussion with the Department of Education and came up with the following:

School transportation is still expensive even though museum workshops are free.

The Learning outside of the classroom initiative has got teachers thinking outside of the classroom!  A lot of other opportunities exist in competition with museums. i.e. visits to lifeboats, wildlife parks etc.

With the introduction of new curricular topics i.e. citizenship etc. new trips for team-building etc are now very popular.

In summary Lisa, I think that we have a lot more competition for the educational market nowadays.

I have attached a draft document for you to look at if it will help.  The document is confidential so if you use it purely for your own purposes I would be most grateful.

Best of luck Lisa, I know exactly what your going through!

Anthea

Anthea Young

Offishear Shirveishyn Ynsee

Education Services Officer

Eiraght Ashoonagh Vannin, Doolish, Mannin, Ny h-Ellanyn Goaldagh.
Manx National Heritage, Douglas, Isle of Mann, British Isles

Çhell / Tel : +44 (0)1624 648000
Facs / Fax : +44(0)1624 648001

Eddyr-Voggyl / Website : www.gov.im/mnh

Post-L / E-mail : [log in to unmask]

Dear Lisa,

You can benchmark your BVPI 170c (education visits - pupils only)
figures using the central government websites
http://www.bvpi.gov.uk/pages/Index.asp - they are lovely if you call
them and they will take you through creating the tables you want, step
by step.  They should be able to show trends.

Also, you could try
http://www.audit-commission.gov.uk/performance/dataprovision.asp Again
they are very helpful on the phone.  This will enable you to download
the whole countries 170c figures and rank yourself nationally (Stockport
are 12th I think) against other councils.

Both of these are for Authorities though, not specific museums, so you'd
need to know the authorities which contained sites similar to your own.
I've found that the people compiling Performance Indicators in
authorities are usually good about sharing information one year end
figures have been published.  They should be able to tell you what their
individual museums have been doing.

The DOCS publish monthly figures for the nationals at
http://www.culture.gov.uk/what_we_do/Museums_galleries/monthly_visits_fi
gures/ but these are just visitors, not schools.

In some cases in our museums we have had more schools in, but the class
sizes are smaller, therefore figures diminish.  Also, schools are
closing and amalgamating due to reduced numbers.  Depending on which
school has the upper hand in this situation, you may loose previous
custom.  We have also realised that in some circumstances e.g. Xmas
celebrations, we may need to ask small school sizes if they will share
capacity so that more schools can be booked in.

I am also including the results of a local survey that we did looking
into factors affecting the number of visits a school may make in a year.
You could try running a similar survey in your own authority?

Our split is approx 60% outside the area and 40% inside.  The theory is
that, due to rising coach travel costs, schools feel that a full day
trip is easier to fill if travel time is increased.  If joint visits
across 2 or more sites were promoted, it might increase local
participation, though I'd have thought that the school population on the
Isle may be relatively small?  We have no hotel stock in Stockport and
as far as I know, we have only had two residentially based trips using
us (one from Dublin and one from Whitehaven).  The Whitehaven group
stayed in the local YMCA.  Most primary schools who do trips that
include overnight stays do 'outward bound' style activities where the
group is contained after arrival.  That said, a lot of schools are now
dropping this type of activity due to teacher concerns about liability
and possibly parent concerns after high profile coach accidents.  There
is quite a lot of info on Google on "cotton wool kids"
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/article689316.ece
http://www.generationyouthissues.org.uk/cotton_wool_kids_intro.htm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/07/ncotton0
7.xml

Esther Morrison

Research Officer

Staircase House

30 Market Place

Stockport

SK1 1ES

Tel: 0161 480 1564

Lisa
  Having been on the Ed side for fourteen years and an archaeologist here for even longer(!), I know it depends a lot on what's on offer. We're relatively close to the Liverpool and Manchester Museums but nevertheless, we see schools from Blackpool, Burnley, Preston, Liverpool, Manchester, W.Yorks, Staffs, Salop, as well as N.Wales & Wirral.  Our figures are currently 24.500 school children p.a.  But it has been as low as 19.000 (when coach seat-belts were intro), and as high as 26.000 in the early days of Ofsted. It is mostly around the Nat Curr though and adding value for groups. Teachers like 'making' activities, anything you can give them in terms of information leaflets/packs that can be used back in the classroom, or before the visit to support it and, cross-curricula dimensions. Some LEA's appear to be far more stringent than others about teachers/organisers carrying out pre-visit Risk Assessments, a good many only request and use ours! But this could be an issue for you that your local LEA might help resolve, in providing an assessor? I'm guessing like us it's KS:1 & 2 groups you see, so mixing subject elements works (Geog/ Hist/Art), particularly if they can go back to base and look at a local Roman site, with the tools you've given them. Do you workout a timetable for the day with them?  How many groups can your site 'absorb' at one time?  As we all know, most of the cost of a trip per child goes on transport (+ acc and for you), but the offer of £1.50 - £2.50 goody bags helps in our shop - these are booked in advance.
 I've just sent someone else these evaluation forms; I realise you may do all this and more of the above already so apologies if this is a case of coals-to-newcastle ... But herewith in the hope it assists ..
Regards,       Janet

Education Project Officer
www.grosvenormuseum.co.uk
& UNISON Branch Secretary