Ruth, at least in the context of that discussion, I was talking about VERY small shifts--- I was asking about averaging data that was taken within 5-10 minutes of each other and within the same scanning session.  Since there is likely some small head movement between individual gradients, the question pertained more to how you align the images to one another to get the best tractography ( i.e. align them before or after averaging the two individual scans).

dag