henry,

maybe it's just me, but i have a hard time deciphering your note,
i'll try to answer it as far as i can understand it but you seem
to be using some type of jargon/style that i'm not entirely familiar with
so pardon if i'll miss your questions.

first, my question was related to the representation of surveillance
which is not limited to cameras but is generally a collection of data
so in this case Deja Vu would count, i think, as it's not a matter of
camera per se but the fact that there's all this visual data.

second, i'm not sure what you mean by "knee-jerk anti-Americanism" -
are you saying that the issues/questions i've raised would necessarily
be discussed with an unfortunate addition of anti-Americanism, or are
you suggesting that the way i put forth my musings is anti-American?

third, "the viewer is provided a feeling of (infantile-narcissistic)
omnipotence" - is this a statement you're making regarding some of my
questions? is it an observation that you are sharing with the list? did
you interpret my approach to be suggesting it?

and finally, i don't think i mentioned either "the Big Other" or "the order
of symbolic" or this particular way of thinking about "the gaze" but i think
general public (as in people like me) are (re)assured that the majority of
surveillance regimes are not threatening them in any way, in fact, they are
rather quietly complying with those regimes by entering their personal data
into computers when requested or looking into camera or providing their ID
numbers, passwords and etc. when asked, otherwise surveillance would not be
able to function.

my question had nothing to do with the above (and below) sentences though,
i'm not sure you're really trying to answer any of them. and for the record,
my own attitude toward both non-philosophers and popular culture is far
from snobbish, i'm not sure what could give you that idea.

evgeni v. pavlov

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/

*
*