philosophical taste, and the conversation beomes redolent of one he and I had about
signs in this salon some time (years) ago.

But anyway...
I think his formula works to a degree, though I can't speak for the
Bordwellians, but I am, in general, not so into this sort of distinction unless it's
meant as a moment's snapshot into a specific instance - of a process that is so
full of flux and indeterminacy that these borders are in actuality very
personal, sub-culture specific, occasion specific, context specific,yeah even genre
specific (Elipsis in a doc format can work differently than in a drama, and
def than in a poetic piece.)   In the case of such an analysis of a specific
moment, I think this l-p demarcation can make certain arguments seem neater.

My problem, and it may be just my taste, is that starting down this road,
while it may help sort out certain issues, can easily lead us into hypostatizing
ephemera.   But then, I think Mike's taste in systems might require a kind of
neatness mine don't.   For me language, I guess, is a messier,more ad hoc kind
of a business and that the analytic and descriptive schemes one applies need
to be more process-descriptive than categorical to be useful across the wide
wide range of occasions.   There is, in both cinema and the word, langue et
parole, the narrative and the poetic, the discursive and the idiosyncratic, so
many moments of indeterminacy (parole becoming langue, but only for a moment,
and only for me and a couple of my friends) that trying to nail them, leads us
to create static (like langue et parole) descriptions, which adequately catch
the moment, and miss the overall flux.

Unfortunately I can easily see my approach seeming like a lot of hocus-pocus
style handwaving, unless this entire dynamic perspective gets laid out (and
maybe even then).   I am glad to launch specific critiques from this
perspective, but will be even happier if folks can absorb an entire perspective. (My book
"Movement and Meaning in Motion Pictures" will be out sometime next year -
Rodopi Press - shameless plug)

I think Ross's idea of inference is moving in the right direction, and just
needs a fine grain exposition to become a widely useful perspective.   Where
this approach becomes especially apparent to me is in the use of sound. (Do the
cognitivists get into this?)   As any editor knows, sound is a much subtler
and in many ways more powerful sub-rosa driver of   cognition than picture, and
as an editor there are many tricks for making otherwise 'eliptical' cuts
'move' and/or become unnoticable - and most of them rely on clever accoustic
discontinuities/ and/or ellisions and/or segues on one or another level of the
soundtrack, placed within a few frames (More or less, before or after) of the cut,
to either distract or focus the viewer.   These are tricks for which there are
few if any rules, and have a seat of the pants quality to them - one keeps
messing around the cut until you get something that works, and the more you do
it the more likely you can get it without that much messing around.   ( The
same is true not just for patching elipses, but also for shading the meaning of a
transition (cut) in innumerable ways. (A wise old doc editor I worked with
categorized cuts as male and female depending on how much attention he wanted
them to call to themselves!)

So one of the things this points up is that people theorize about cutting,
without trying things out. My view is that this leads us into the problems that
Witt. sees philosophers stumbling into all the time: Operating on a language
detached from its actions.
Dan

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at

*