I have been asked to negotiate with the library on a per book/item basis,
particularly around exam times/books that are in high demand - I don't know
of a system that would allow students extended loans generally.

That said, they have offered to get an extra copy via ILL without it coming
off my ILL quota if needed.  I can understand that view, as for one of the
cross-faculty modules, over 1000 students could be after books.