International and Multidisciplinary Conference
Groningen, The Netherlands
November 26-28, 2008

RE-EXPLORING CANADIAN SPACE  / REDÉCOUVRIR L’ESPACE
CANADIEN

CALL FOR PAPERS

The Canadian Studies Centre at the University of Groningen
and the Association for Canadian Studies in the
Netherlands are pleased to announce that on the occasion
of the 20th anniversary of the Canadian Studies Centre an
international and multidisciplinary conference will be
held in Groningen.

The conference seeks to examine and explore the various
issues surrounding the idea of space in the Canadian
studies context. The study of space has been one of the
central themes around which the Centre has developed its
activities. Among other areas, its members have published
extensively on identity and space, frontiers and space,
gender and space, colonial history and space, Arctic space
and social change and space.

The purpose of the conference is to explore questions that
will extend current knowledge and foster new ideas in
particularly in the realm of contemporary debates and
developments. How is Canadian space affected by global
climate change, and vice versa? How is Canada’s space
protected, and influenced by security issues?  How are the
redistribution of land and new perspectives on space
related? How do the nation’s multiple voices, for example
those with ethnic or indigenous backgrounds, share
Canada’s space? How are cultural activities, filmic and
literary connotations on space embraced in Canada?

We aim to reconnect our former discoveries with fresh
perspectives in order to develop new angles on Canadian
space by welcoming papers on, but not limited to, the
following areas:

- Canadian History, Society, Economy
- Political Science
- Trade and Foreign Relations		- Culture, Cinema and
Literature
- Ethnicities and Languages		- Geography and Arctic
Studies
- Foreign Policy and Security Issues

The Greek philosopher Democritus has been quoted to say:
“Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything
else is opinion”. For this conference we hope you will
join us in our plan to fill the empty space by sending a
proposal (maximum 300 words) for a 20 minute paper in
English or French and a short CV by 1 November 2007.

If a proposal is accepted a full draft paper should be
submitted by 2 September 2008. Accepted papers are
intended to be published.

Proposals should be sent to the Canadian Studies Centre,
University of Groningen, Oude Kijk in ’t Jatstraat 26,
9712 EK Groningen, The Netherlands, E-mail:
[log in to unmask], tel. + 31 (0)50 3635891, fax. + 31 (0)50
3635821
Organizing committee: Jeanette den Toonder, Doeko Bosscher
(Canadian Studies Centre), Conny Steenman-Marcusse, Fred
Toppen (Association for Canadian Studies in the
Netherlands) or at  www.rug.nl/let/canada and
http://www.acsn.nl/