Sprerad the word and pop over for a day or longer if you are in the area
----------------------

Camp for Climate Action comes to Heathrow this summer

Camp for Climate Action, 14th - 21st August 2007 www.climatecamp.org.uk

(check website for location on 14th august). Or be redirected from
staines train station from Tuesday morning.

Aviation is the fastest growing source of greenhouse gas emissions in
the UK, and all our efforts to tackle climate change in other sectors
are undone by the massive growth in air travel. By holding the camp at
Heathrow, we aim to highlight the lunacy of the government's airport
expansion plans, target industry giants profiteering from the climate
crisis, and raise awareness of the need to fly less.  The camp will also
support local residents in their long-term struggle against the building
of a third runway and the destruction of their communities.

There will be a day of mass direct action aiming to disrupt the
activities of the airport and the aviation industry, but in the
interests of public safety there will be no attempt to blockade runways.

Although the location is different, the philosophy of the camp remains
the
same: to be a place for the burgeoning network of people taking radical
action on climate change around the country to come together for a week
of low-impact living, education, debate, networking, strategising,
celebration, and direct action. The camp will feature over 100 workshops
covering topics such as climate change impacts, carbon offsetting,
biofuels, peak oil, permaculture, practical renewables, campaign
strategy, skills for direct action, and much more. Run without leaders
by everyone who comes along, it will be a working ecological village
using renewable energy, composting waste and sourcing food locally.

It all comes down to us, now. We are the last generation that can do
anything about climate change. In 20 or 30 years time, should we not
change our ways, we'll be committed to emissions increases that will see
forests burn, soils decay, oceans rise, and millions of people die. If
we don't get this issue right, so much else is lost too.

We still have time, but not for long. Make it count.

Camp for Climate Action, 14th - 21st August 2007 www.climatecamp.org.uk