Two snippets that may be of interest.

VAT:
My understanding is that VAT is not applicable to information provided under Access to Environmental Information Regs.

Scales of charging, environmental information searches:
Walsall MBC Pollution Control adopts a charging rate of £40 per hour (min charge one hour then in ½hour increments) for supply of environmental info. We make no distinction between private or commercial enquiries.

We do discuss enquiries over the phone and often give yes/no responses in this situation. Similarly we try to give an indication of whether we hold information that may be of use about a location, however before proceeding with a search of records we require the questions to be put in writing (letter, fax, e-mail) as we often find that what is asked over the phone is not reflected in the written version. Most local solicitors and "regular" environmental search companies now send in a list of questions in the first instance.

At this point we review the request and estimate the time required to search for the information required to respond to the various elements and then provide a quotation for carrying out the work. These tend to fall into the £100 to £140 region. When providing the quotation we make it clear that the cost is for carrying out the research to respond to the questions and that in some cases our response may be that we have no relevant information.  We also adopt a policy of "payment with order" and do not forward information unless payment has been received. Arrangements are in place to take "over the phone card payments" to speed things up.

Adopting this approach has helped us to avoid the "catch all" enquires that indicate a search radius of 1km or 2 km although we do get some that specify a large radius but tend to be very specific about the information required thus reducing costs.

We also provide a "data sheet" service related specifically to landfill sites (closed or operational) in our area. This is charged at £25 per enquiry location and comprises a location plan and a synopsis of the data held for all sites within 250 metres of the enquiry address.. Requests for this information have almost ceased as solicitors have become more focused on the wider land contamination issues.

Ian Jarrett.

Principal Pollution Control Officer.

01922 652237

Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council.

Pollution Control ,

Engineering and Transportation Services,

2nd Floor, Civic Centre,

Darwall Street,

Walsall.

WS1 1DG

“The information in this message must be regarded as confidential and is intended for the addressee only unless explicitly stated. If you have received this message in error it must be deleted and the sender notified. The views expressed in this message are personal and not necessarily those of Walsall Council unless explicitly stated. Please be aware that emails sent to or received from Walsall Council may be intercepted and read by the council to ensure compliance with council policies or regulatory obligations, or for the purposes of essential maintenance or support of the email system. You should also be aware that any email may be subject of a request under Data Protection, Freedom of Information or Environmental Information legislation and therefore could be disclosed to third parties”.