From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [mailto:]On Behalf Of Mark Burton
Sent: 19 July 2007 18:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK]

Does community psychology have any relevance to the big questions of war, imperialism and dispossession, climate change?  Does it have any thing to say about the pressing problems of society in this country for that matter?  Or is it a limited set of practices that do little more than distract us from real and pressing action priorities?

The attached document tries to explore some of this.  it is the result of a UK community psychology network event held in Birmingham earlier this year, organised by Carl Harris.  The document says something about how the workshop was conducted and presents the results form the group discussions.  It also presents as an Appendix the paper that the group used as background.

As Carl put it in his original email to the list:

We are now handing this information over to the list as a whole, so that  the statements can be used by list members (eg in communications with  individuals and organisations, such as MPs, the BPS and the media).    After the original version was circulated to the list there was little discussion, and as we had tried to be provocative this surprised us.  the group has agreed to resubmit the document with, we hope,  a clearer signpost to what it is about.    Some members of the group will be conducting a workshop on this theme at the September CP fiesta in York - this and any further discussion will act as background material for the event.    We are very aware that the papers presented in the document are best seen as work in progress - so constructive commentary and and comradely criticism is most welcome!!        From Mark Burton  Manchester UK    <http://www.compsy.org.uk/> www.compsy.org.uk