Dear Harry,

     Sorry, this did end up sounding harsher than I intended, and it could
have done with a few judiciously placed smileys :) . My mailer may also have
been overzealous: there was no intention of bombarding you with disapproval.

     I was simply trying to say that we are still far from fully
understanding the statistics of images, and that if we are to have a chance
of applying future insights into this open question towards improving some
interesting difficult datasets that would have previously been deposited, we
do not want some assumptions to have been made in the compression of the
original images that would, by then, be known to have been erroneous.

     Raw data are sacred. The question is of course: "how raw?"; but the
answer is always going to be to go back to rawer and rawer forms, rather
than towards more and more cooked ones (especially, if the recipes are open
to doubt).

     With best wishes,

          Gerard.