Hi,

This isn't the first and I suspect not the last case like that - sometimes
'soluble' proteins require detergents to be 'happy' upon overexpression.
We've had several such cases - to me the most memorable one being that of
the catalytic domain of PTPbeta, expressed in E. coli as a His-MBP fusion.
Upon cleavage (TEV or TVMV protease), the protein requires 0.01% bOG to be
present in solution, otherwise it irreversibly precipitates.

PTPbeta-CD crystallizes perfectly fine, and the crystals diffract to high
resolution - and there are no signs of detergent in any of the structures
solved so far, nor do we feel that the fold was affected in any way (based
on comparisons with other phosphatase structures etc.). Unless you feel that
your detergent concentration is excessive, I don't perceive this as a reason
to be concerned. If you're concerned about detergent concentration, you can
always pick one that can be dialyzed or one that forms micelles at high
concentration - obviously there's no guarrantee that the substitute
detergent works out. Alternatively you can attempt to substitute NDSBs for
detergents, engineer your protein to be more soluble, etc. etc.

Artem

  _____