> Something for you to chew on: how is it that the electrons of the protein,
> which are presumably not in phase with each other nor in exactly the same
> place in their orbitals from unit cell to unit cell (maybe they are?) when
> they scatter the photons, they result in interference? What are the chances
> that the scattering electrons are exactly in the same place as the
> electrons in another unit cell, or of the same phase? And would they not
> need to be in the same place to sub-angstrom precision to scatter
> coherently?

They do not need to be in the same place to sub-angstrom precision.
The situation is easier to understand when you think about a crystal composed
of small molecules  or even better - atoms (e.g. a  Silicon crystal).
If all electrons (pointlike particles) were in the same place,  atomic
scattering factor would  be a flat function against the scattering angle (the
atomic scattering factor would be  a constant function  (putting aside
polarization considerations)) and we would not observe a falloff of
intensities for large scattering angles.

By the way, thinking in terms of orbitals can be a bit misleading, because
orbitals are like components of a vector: in different coordinate systems one
gets different sets of components. What has a physical meaning is a wave
function. The wave function can be decomposed into orbitals (localized,
delocalized etc.) in many different ways.

Andrzej

Andrzej Olczak
Institute of General and Ecological Chemistry
Technical University of Lodz
Zeromskiego 116
90-924 Lodz
Poland