    If you treat the amplitude and phase as a complex number and follow
the math I believe it turns out that real space and reciprocal space
refinement are identical...  If there are no uncertainties.

    Any model of the uncertainties can also be expressed in either space,
but a model that is simple in one space is very complicated in the
other.  The simple case we live with of a (nearly) Gaussian uncertainty
in the amplitude and a HL uncertainty in phase angle transforms to
an uncertainty in real space where every density point is correlated
to every other point to some degree or another.  A simple constraint
in real space, such as the flatness of bulk solvent, results in an
uncertainty model in reciprocal space that has correlations between
each pair of structure factors.

    Reciprocal space refinement has been so successful over the years
because the model that the uncertainties of each structure factor being
independent of all the others is pretty close to being true.  Of course
when your phases are derived from a heavy atom model errors in the model
will cause correlated uncertainties in your phases which are currently
ignored.  This is one reason why refining with phases is more problematic
than refining with amplitudes alone, despite the fact that we can
weight the phase information much better than in the past.

    I have not been following the uncertainty models in modern real
space refinement programs and can't comment on why they give better
results in some circumstances.  I presume this is because the uncertainty
for the information about density maps that is being restrained can
be expressed more simply in real space than reciprocal space.

Dale Tronrud

>>> Mike