I think I can speak from experience on the topic of archiving image
data.  I have ~40,000 DVD-R disks in my office.  This represents:
6 years of data collection at ALS 8.3.1
60 TB of data (>99% of everything collected, 2 copies)
10,000 data sets
318 PDB entries
$4000 of media

The purposes of this archive are:
1) an "eternal" off-site backup for users of ALS 8.3.1
2) a potential source of "interesting" data sets for methods developers

I define "interesting" as: a data set from a known structure that cannot
be solved by conventional methods.  After all, if you are developing new
methods then data that can be solved by existing methods is of limited
utility.  However, it is also difficult to develop and test a new
algorithm if you don't know what the "right answer" is.  For this
reason, I think the most useful data sets to make available are the
"early" data sets from a structure project (the ones you couldn't
solve).  Almost by definition, these are the most relevant data sets for
developing new methods.  We all would like to get a structure solved
sooner than later.  The problem is getting permission.  Yes, it is
perhaps "legal" for me to give away people's data if they were collected
at a DOE facility (without a proprietary research agreement in place).
However, I would like to keep the few friends I have.  It is important
to clear such transactions with the scientist who collected the data.
The difficulty is in connecting 10,000 image data sets to one of 40,000
PDB entries (which are generally deposited 1-2 years after data
collection) and then connecting interested parties to one of 500 users
who collected the data.  This is not an insurmountable logistics
problem, but I'm afraid it is going to take me a while to do it all in
my "spare time".

IMHO we do not need a universal image format, we need WELL DOCUMENTED
image formats!  Once that is done, then writing a converter to-and-from
imgCIF and any other format will be possible, and then imgCIF can start
to take hold.  I believe a pivotal step toward a universal image format
is to have every generator of images (beamlines, diffractometer
manufacturers, etc.) make a lysozyme data set available in a very public
place.  Preferably with instructions on how to process it properly.  I
will now volunteer the following web page as the place to put all these
example data sets (for now).  To put my money where my mouth is: A
lysozyme data set from ALS 8.3.1 is available here:

http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/example_data_sets/

WRT archiving in general, I think it also important to point out that
RAID only protects you against the total failure of one (or maybe two)
hard disk drives.  RAID does NOT generally protect against anything
else, such as failures of RAID controller cards, flaky drive cables, bad
sectors or other "subtle" drive failures, filesystem corruption, power
surges, disgruntled sysadmins, etc.  I have experienced all of these.
So, even if your stuff is on a RAID, always backup often.

I chose DVD-R because it is the cheapest media with a long rated
shelf-life (~100 years if you don't leave them in the sun).  That, and
our astronomer colleagues (who also have the problem of storing large
amounts of digital image data) chose DVD-R as the storage medium for Sky
Survey 2 a few years back.

I recently checked on the prices of alternative media.  Here is what I
came up with:
media   price          source           lifetime
DVD-R   $0.056/GB ( $0.25 / 4.5 GB )    100 year?
LTO-3   $0.063/GB ( $50   / 800 GB )    3-5 year
LTO-2   $0.063/GB ( $25   / 400 GB )    3-5 year
DLTIV   $0.200/GB ( $16   / 80 GB )     3-5 year
HDD     $0.424/GB ( $318  / 750 GB )    3-5 year
BD-R    $0.640/GB ( $16   / 25 GB )     100 year?
CD-R    $0.771/GB ( $0.54 / 0.7 GB )    100 year?
8mm     $1.000/GB ( $2.50 / 2.5 GB )    3-5 year
ZIP     $16.00/GB ( $4    / 0.25 GB )   3-5 month
floppy  $90.28/GB ( $0.13 / 1.44 MB )   3-5 min
clay    $2700./GB ( $.3/lb 1 bit/mm^3) >30,000 y

Note that hard disk drives cost 10x more than DVD-R. Blu-Ray disks
(BD-R) are more expensive than hard drives! Storing all this data on
hard drives would cost ~$50k, with an additional $5k/year for the 2
GB/hr we routinely collect.  Storing all the data from all 30 PX
beamlines in the world would amount to ~$150k/year of hard drives.

The ~100 year lifetime of optical "-R" media has, of course yet to be
proved historically.  Early CDs did have a problem that the glue used
for the label was slightly acid and corroded the aluminum reflective
layer that encodes the data (which, BTW, is directly under the label!).
Modern media no longer have this problem, and there are watchdog
agencies you can find with google that simulate the long-term effects of
time on any media you like.  I can certainly say I have had problems
with worn-out DVD-R drives starting to make bad disks that pass
verification in the writer but not in a low-end reader.  It seems that
the solution to this is to try reading the disk back in a good DVD-R
writer drive.

One must balance media lifetime with cost.  The longest proved storage
lifetime of any media is clay tablets.  In fact, the lifetime of data
stored with this medium is perhaps the definition of "recorded
history".  I estimate that the maximum practical data density on clay
tablets would be 1 bit represented by an 0.5 mm diameter pit in the wet
clay, spaced on a 1x1 mm grid in a slab 1 mm thick.  However, this
thickness is probably pushing it if you want the media to stand up to 30
millenia of earthquakes and global warming.  Note that I have only
estimated the cost of the media, not the kiln to fire it or the
subsequent FTEs to curate the archive.

 The problem I have now is similar.  I have 40,000 DVDs with
progressively sketchier computerized records of what is on them as I go
back in time.  (In the beginning, I was burning them all myself and
printing out sticky labels from a Word document).  It is perhaps
relevant to mention here that this project is essentially unfunded.  I
have twice applied for grants to make the image archive accessible to
the methods development community, but no luck. I mention this here
because I think it relevant to point out that the cost of curating a
public data base far exceeds the cost of the storage medium you use.

I also have a question:
It would seem LTO-3 or maybe the upcoming LTO-4 is not a bad short-term
alternative to DVD-R?  Anybody out there have experience with one of
these tape drives?  I would really appreciate the input.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist