This list repeatedly goes to the dogs and repeatedly survives the experience.

My own sense of listservs is that they're for discussion and information. The latter sometimes in the form of self-advertizing or passing on enthusiasms. Discussion always has a performative element, but in the absence of the physical presence of the interlocutor (and for that matter of Mr. Bones) performance sometimes overwhelms communication. I for one have no idea who Jane is or what she wrote/said--lost in the fog somewhere. If that were presented (apologies if it was) we'd have something to talk about instead of merely emoting.

Mark

At 12:55 PM 8/26/2007, Roger Collett wrote:
Don't apologise to Jane, apologise to Geraldine!!!
This list is going (has gone?) to the dogs! Apologies to the dogs.

Roger Collett
Arrowhead Press
http://www.arrowheadpress.co.uk/
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality."
Jules de Gaultier
----- Original Message -----
From: mairead byrne
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2007 4:27 PM
Subject: [-SPAM-] Netiquette

Dear All,

I'm posting the British + Irish Poets Welcome Message separately.  Please note the section on netiquette, especially:

No harassment or ad hominem/ad feminam attacks on members or non-members, whether posted to the list or backchanneled.  No importing or redistribution of claims relating to arguments on other lists.

This discussion began with Geraldine's lament for a murdered child, a lamentation I share.  The grief has shifted all too easily to a verbal attack on a fellow poet and the business of another list.
It's horrible to read this stuff, and very destructive of the list.  As co-manager, I apologize to Jane.

Mairead