Photographing microfilm reader screens - summary of responses

Dear all,

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my enquiry about whether repositories who make collections available on microfilm permit researchers to take digital photographs of the documents displayed on microfilm reader screens. Apologies for cross-posting this summary of the responses I received.

I had several responses to my message and a couple of colleagues had experience of researchers photographing, or asking to photograph, microfilm reader printers. Some repositories do not permit digital photography of their material, on microfilm or otherwise. There was consensus that the reader would still need to sign a copyright declaration - although if microfilm readers are situated away from the staff desk it might be harder for staff to know whether or not researchers were making their own copies with a camera, and therefore to ensure the researcher is aware of copyright obligations. There was also doubt that the quality of a digital photograph of a microfilm reader screen would be any good - several people suggested that a print out would be more useful, especially if self-service printing was available. The poor quality of the image might help prevent unauthorised further use of the image.

Many thanks again to all those who replied.
Natalie
Natalie Adams
Archivist/Information Services Manager
Churchill Archives Centre