1. This may sound simplistic, but I haven't been able to find documentation.  I think the relative centrifugal force (RCF) times the time of centrifugation can be used to calculate equivalent degrees of centrifugation.

For example, centrifuging at 1500 g for 10 min is equivalent to centrifuging at 5000 g for 3 min.  Right?

2. Centrifuging whole blood to obtain the serum or plasma at too high of a RCF might damage cells during the process.  Besides the possibility of some hemolysis leading to artifactual increases in K+, LD, etc., are there any other chemistry analytes that might be affected?

3. I always thought satisfactory centrifugation could be accomplished more quickly in fixed angle rotors than in swinging bucket rotors.  However, BD stipulates a longer centrifugation time for fixed angle than for swinging bucket.  (This might only apply to gel separator tubes.) Did I always think wrong (on this issue, not to mention many more).

Thanks. -Jim
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/